When running any release earlier than Joystick-To-Mouse 2.70 Release 6 in Windows 8, you will receive an "Improper Windows Version" message. You can enable the built-in compatibility mode for the software for Windows 8. For JOY2MSE.EXE, LICENSE.EXE you can right-click, select properties, select the Compatibility tab and enable the compatibility mode for operation as Windows 7.
As an alternate workaround, you can download and overwrite the existing IMGVERS.DLL with this updated IMGVERS.DLL for Windows 8. 56K 1/30/2013 (MD5: 25E5A85B71F7A0FA91CD84205CD20853). Follow these steps:
- With Joystick-To-Mouse closed, as an administrator, use Windows Explorer, and open \Program Files\Joystick-To-Mouse (for 64-bit version, use \Program Files (x86)\Joystick-To-Mouse)
- Find IMGVERS.DLL - rename to IMGVERS.ORG
- Download and place new IMGVERS.DLL in Joystick-To-Mouse
- Now run Regedit.exe - verify there are NO compatibility entries for Joystick-To-Mouse
- Refer to these registry keys: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags]
- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant]
- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store]
- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
- Be sure to delete ANY reference to ANY Joystick-To-Mouse software/folders (including LICENSE.exe, etc.)
- Now run Joystick-To-Mouse directly
Note: After running in compatibility mode for some period of time (possibly after a power save mode), Joystick-To-Mouse may run slower. This appears to be a system timer issue that occurs when running under the compatibilty mode - you may wish to check for updates to Windows 8, or use the IMGVERS.DLL alternate approach above.
For additional informaton, refer to the entry for Windows 8
|Category: Using||Type: Information||Product: Joystick-To-Mouse||Version: 2.70|
As seen in ...